Chevron Gray & Yellow

Friday, December 10, 2010

Week in a Box

I heard that life for a woman gets better with age and experience...I must say that I have had my doubts, but I wouldn't trade a single moment of life's trials and blessings that have carried me to where I am today. The big 3-0 has been an amazing year despite the heartache of leaving behind true friendships and being away from My Hero for 4 months while we transitioned our life from North Carolina to Manhattan. I had the courage to quit a job I was no longer passionate about...well, I can honestly say now that it sucked the life out of me. My saving grace was the wonderful and exceptionally talented people I worked with on a daily basis and the true friendships I was so lucky to have at my job. The support of these friends and My Hero continually encouraged me to pursue a job that would ignite this passion within me again.

I have taken the time this year to truly reflect on my career change and to just be thankful for it. I also realized where this drive for change was initially derived. The untimely death of a very close co-worker a few, short years ago got the ball rolling. I didn't allow myself to stop and reflect on the ramifications of Jennifer's passing...I should have...but I just kept on working...working...working. I didn't know what else to do at the time. I should've stopped and reflected. The word "passion" kept creeping into my mind. The word "passion" was talked about nearly every day in my previous place of employment. Jennifer was so passionate about her job. She lived for the next campaign, the next creative brief, the next team meeting. She had passion. Mine was growing dim. It was even pointed out to me by co-workers that my sparkle was fading! NOT THE SPARKLE! How embarrassing.

I have found passion again. I prayed for a new direction, found a new job in a new city, I am gaining new friends, building new relationships and beginning a new life with My Hero. We are passionate about this change and can't wait to see what comes next. I strongly encourage everyone to find their passion and not be afraid to discover new things. Life's too short.

Today brought wonderful discoveries. I saw this gorgeous hunk-a-hunk-burnin' love on my way to work this morning.
Christian Bale, I know you saw me. The paparazzi were crowding you. You couldn't escape them to come say hello to me. That's OK. Maybe next time.

When I arrived at work, I walked in the door the same time as our Chairman and CEO, Mike Kowalski.
This is a similar expression I got from him this morning. He was like, "Who are you?" Soooo, I introduced myself. He was kinda cornered in the elevator and had no choice but to interact with me. HA! I will be moving on up before you know it because of this interaction. Bring on the corner office!

To round out the day, I decided to volunteer my time in the store...at Tiffany & Co...on Christmas Eve. Employees are strongly encouraged to volunteer in the store every year and I thought this would be a great opportunity to see how the store really functions. My Hero is working Christmas Eve and I didn't want to be by myself so this is gonna be a great plan...I think. I have ZERO retail experience. We'll see how it goes. I have a ton of life-saving experience from years of life guarding so I could at least resuscitate anyone who might pass out from all the gorgeous baubles.

To round out the week, I was accepted into the New York Junior League. After attending an orientation earlier this year, I was thrilled with the possibility of being a part of such a prestigious organization that is truly making a difference in this city. I am sure I will have more to report on as I begin my provisional training in late January/early February.

Phew! What a week! Happy hunting for your passion.

1 comment:

  1. My hubby is working Christmas weekend too, I think I will work as well to keep my mind off of the fact he won't be here since my family is four hours away!

    ReplyDelete