Chevron Gray & Yellow

Friday, July 30, 2010

Sour But Sweet

I used to have a co-worker that enjoyed eating lemons. I cringed every time she did this. My mouth would pucker for her. As sweet as she was, I couldn't understand how she or anyone could eat a pure lemon by choice. I was reminded about this situation recently as I was viewing images for a project including jewelry made with yellow diamonds.

Have you ever seen diamonds so yellow they look sour, but so yummy and bright? I recently had the privilege of seeing the stunning piece of craftsmanship worth 2.5 million dollars that Kate Winslet wore to the Oscars this year. I saw it in person and touched it! EEEEK! I didn't get to adorn this magnificent piece of jewelry, but just seeing it was phenomenal.
Fancy yellow diamonds are a trend in the jewelry industry right now and Tiffany & Co. carries the most stunning creations made with them. I am a bit biased, but I know that they are genuine stones. Before working at Tiffany, I didn't realize that jewelers can actually inject stones with a dye to make them appear brighter or a different color than they inherently are. Word to the wise, this does not make the stone more valuable. Tiffany does not do this with their yellow diamonds. They are all natural and extremely rare. Only about one in 10,000 diamonds is a fancy color meeting the Tiffany standards.


Just another day on the job. I am a lucky girl. These diamonds could be my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment